Black Friday is less than one week away and stores are stocking their shelves for this notorious shopping day full of sales.
Most of the big chains, such as Target or Radio Shack, have Black Friday deals every year. Small boutiques can have a hard time competing with the big chain stores, but many offer Black Friday specials to tempt customers out of the malls.
"Offering our own Black Friday specials brings customers into our store where they can find high quality items that are unique," said Frances Brayshaw, owner of Pear Tree Cottage. "I stock my store with low quantities of each item so the customer will walk away with a gift that no one else will have."
With the decline in the economy, some customers are shopping online and staying away from malls to avoid overspending. Where a big chain may be able to endure this loss of sales, a smaller boutique could go under because of them.
"We have to compete with online stores, so having a brick and mortar store is harder than ever," said Kay Goss, store manager of Star's Beads. "Our business is mainly word of mouth and we have many regulars that come in because they want to support local business and keep our store open."
In addition to the sales on Friday, American Express is hosting its first-ever Small Business Saturday on Nov. 27. Registered cardmembers will receive a $25 statement credit when they shop at a small business, so shopping in Vienna could be good for your wallet, too.
Here's a list of Black Friday deals in Vienna:
Mattress Discounters 129 Maple Ave W,703-255-0312
- Triple choice on Queen Sealy mattresses $599.99
- Free TVwith a purchase of a Sealy Posturepedic.
- 50 percent off Spacefoam mattresses
Vienna Music Exchange 131 Church St NW, 703-938-0010
Will be releasing special vinyls
White Swan Bridal 425 Maple Ave W 703-255-9032
- 50% off accessories, veils, and tiaras
- 10% of all dresses
- $50 off coupon for a Tyson's spa/salon with any purchase.
- With purchase of a bridal gown, receive: Free alterations, $50 off bridesmaid dresses, 20% off mother of the bride dresses
Star's Beads 139 Church St NW,703-938-7018
Opens early at 8am. Some specials run only between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. The store will feature sales, discounts, free drawings and freebies.
Sleepy's 116 Maple Ave W, 703-255-0317
50% off select mattresses. Details on sale listed on website.
Pear Tree Cottage 130 Maple Ave E, 703-938-1331
Sale lasts from Nov. 26 to 29
- Custom fresh wreaths available
- 20 percent off all full priced items
- Sale items will be marked up to 75% off
- In-house holiday decorating available
Curtsies & Petals Bridesmaids Shop 527 Maple Ave W, 703-938-1220
- 15 percent off of select items
- Extra 15 percent off of sale items
The Clock Shop of Vienna 109 Church St NW 703-938-3990
Up to 50 percent off 500 styles of clocks. (Sale good until Christmas).
Guarantee Shoe Repair 131 Church St NW, 703-938-8881
Buy one shoe repair and get the second one half off
John Alabaster Watch & Clock Shop 101 Pleasant St NW, 703-938-1942
20% off all watches
The Jewelry Doctor 440 Maple Ave E, 703-255-1330
- Up to 25% off of select items
- Print online coupon for a free watch battery at www.thejewelrydoctorva.com
Vienna Vintner 233 Maple Ave E, 703-242-9463
- 20% off entire store
- Individuals wine specials up to 40% off
Part I of our Black Friday Shopping Guide featured Big Box Stores. Part III will feature Tysons Corner specials.