The third time was a charm for the Chicken and Waffles from Maple Avenue Restaurant, which won week five of Eating Across Vienna, a weekly series aiming to recognize culinary greatness in town.
Maple Ave Restaurant opened in the former Anita's space in August 2009 as a restaurant that focuses on "eclectic American cuisine." It's one of the few restaurants in Vienna with a rotating, seasonal, locally-focused menu.
This week, it went neck and neck with Potato and Onion Ravioli from Bazin's On Church, another repeat nomination from week four.
MAR's pick led the Bazin's dish by just four votes for most of the day Thursday, but pulled ahead later that night to close the poll with a nine-vote lead.
Readers nominated five dishes this week. Here's how they stacked up:
- Braised Boneless Chicken, Wu's Garden: "0%" (One vote)
Chicken and Waffles, Maple Avenue Restaurant: 47%
- Crispy Beef, Wu's Garden 7%
- Hummus, Kabob Tavern 5%
- Potato Onion Ravioli, Bazin's On Church: 38%
Check back on Monday for Patch's review of the chicken and waffles, and for a chance to nominate another dish. Don't worry: if your dish didn't win this week, you can nominate it again for next week's voting.
As a reminder:
- Each Monday we'll ask Vienna Patch readers to nominate their favorite dishes in Vienna.
- Each Wednesday, we'll open those nominations for voting.
- By Friday, the winning dish will be announced.
- Tune in the following Monday to read our review of the dish, and, nominate another.
And the rules:
- The dish must be from a local restaurant (No chains).
- The dish must be under $20.
- You must name a specific dish, not just the name of a restaurant.
- A dish cannot "win" more than once, but it can be nominated as many times as it takes for it to win.