Fairfax County Public Schools are closed Wednesday due to snow.
The Office of Personnel Management also announced early Wednesday that federal employees do not have to report to work , and emergency and telework employees should follow their agency's policies.
According to a Facebook post from the system, the following school activities are also canceled Wednesday:
• extracurricular activities
• interscholastic contests
• team practices
• field trips
• middle school after-school programs
• professional learning and training courses
• all adult and community education classes
• recreation programs and community use by outside groups not affiliated with FCPS
FCPS School Age Child Care (SACC) centers are also closed.
Northern Virginia Weather Forecast
Fairfax County could see anywhere from 6 to 12 inches of heavy, wet snow—higher amounts are possible to the north and west.
The DC metro area is under a winter storm warning until 3 a.m. Thursday morning, according to the National Weather Service.
Snow is expected to continue throughout Wednesday, with particularly heavy snow in the late morning and afternoon hours. Temperatures will struggle to reach 35 degrees Wednesday. Snow should end late Wednesday night, according to the National Weather Service.
Winds of up to 25 miles per hour, with gusts up to 35 miles per hour, are also expected.
Thursday will be sunny with a high of 41 degrees.
- Driving Tips for Snowy Weather
- Dominion Power Prepares for Winter Storm Outages
- Flight Delays, Cancelations Expected Wednesday at Reagan, Dulles Airports
- VDOT to Deploy 4,000 Snow Trucks Wednesday Morning
Stay with Patch throughout today for complete storm coverage.