Five Things To Know In Vienna Today
Road Closures, Voter Registration Deadlines
1. CHURCH STREET CLOSURE: Traffic will not be able to pass through Church Street between Glyndon Street and Beulah Road on March 29. Town crews are completing asphalt and sidewalk work.
2. PARK STREET ROAD CLOSURE: Southbound Park Street is closed at Cherry Street today between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. so that town crews can complete utility work. Vehicles will be detoured to Center Street. Northbound Park Street will close at Moore Avenue. Local traffic will be allowed to access Talahi and Manvell Roads, and Whispering Wind and Battle Courts, but not north of Battle Court.
3. COUNTY'S PUBLIC BUDGET HEARINGS BEGIN TODAY: The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors will hold a series of three public hearings this week to receive input on the proposed Fiscal Year 2012 Budget (which includes funding to Fairfax County Schools). The hearings are tonight at 6 p.m., and Thursday and Friday at 3 p.m. at the County Government Center. The speaker list is already full for tonight's meeting, but you can sign up to speak on Thursday or Friday here. A copy of the proposed budget can be found here.
4. VOTER DEADLINE APPROACHING: Residents of Vienna must register to vote by April 11 in order to participate in the May 3 Town Council Election. Registration can be completed in the registrar's office at the Fairfax County Government Center or by mail. Forms are available online, at the library or at Town Hall.
5. STATE DELEGATE ANNOUNCES CANDIDACY FOR SECOND TERM: McLean patch reports that State Del. Barbara Comstock, a Republican, will seek a second term in office. Comstock represents the 34th District, which includes a portion of Vienna near Wolftrap.