Five Things To Know This Weekend
Photo shoot; Courthouse Road repairs
Welcome to our new column, "Around Town." We'll use it occassionally to post bits of news and information about Vienna -- from roadwork, to fun events, to business developments.
A few things to note this weekend:
- Courthouse Road, SW, is currently closed between Maple Avenue and Locust Street, SW. There was a water main break on Courthouse, just south of Maple Ave, earlier today. Homes and businesses in the 200 block of Maple Avenue W. and Courthouse Road, SW will have interrupted water service until repairs are complete. Public Information Officer Kirstyn Barr says the repair should be done and the road clear before the weekend. Check Vienna Patch or The Town of Vienna on Facebook for more updates.
- Around noon, crews started working on the W+OD trail, just past Northside Park until at least Clarks Crossing. There is a detour in place that goes to the left of the trail (heading toward Reston) and reconnects with the pavement. It's not clear how far the affected area extends beyond Clark's Crossing, or, how long the detour will be up. Calls to the Park Authority have not yet been returned. If you're a commuter, you can get by, but if you're walking or biking for fun, it's best to head toward Falls Church.
- Historic Vienna, Inc. will host a restaging of this 1864 picture in front of the Freeman Store at noon on Sunday. It's the first event in the town's series of activities commemorating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War. Re-enactors will be in period dress, and there will also be a horse. The store won't open on Sunday until after the shoot is over. Check back on Monday for a story about the history of the photo, and how re-enactors managed a re-shoot.
- The signage for the new Panera Bread on Maple Avenue in the Magruder's shopping center went up today. Progress!
- There has been a lot of commenting activity on Vienna Patch lately, a testament to how active and involved Vienna residents are. We're excited that people are participating in our discussions, and starting conversations. That said, we do have some rules. Check out our comment policy. Most people are already abiding by it, but it's a good resource for a quick reference!