Vienna Metro: No. 3 Most Crime in Virginia
Vienna on the list of 10 most dangerous stations in WMATA security report released Monday.
The Vienna Metro station was ranked No. 3 on a top 10 list of stations with the most crime in Virginia by the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority.
Most of the crime increase on the Metro systemwide is attributable to a 30 percent increase in snatches of small electronic devices and pickpockets, according to WMATA's 2012 security report, released Monday.
There were 671 pick-pocketing incidents and electronic snatchings on the Metro system overall in 2012, up from 520 incidents in 2011.
Metro Transit Police Chief Michael Taborn will discuss the report Thursday during his security report to the Metro Board Safety and Security Committee. The report was released to the public Monday.
The full list of the top 10 stations in Virginia with the most crime:
- Franconia-Springfield 32 crimes reported, 1 arrest
- King Street 24 crime reported, 3 arrests
- Vienna 20 crimes reported, 0 arrests
- Braddock Road 15 crimes reported, 0 arrests
- Huntington 14 crimes reported, 1 arrest
- Ballston 13 crimes reported, 2 arrests
- West Falls Church 12 crimes reported, 2 arrests
- Pentagon City 11 crimes reported, 7 arrests
- East Falls Church 9 crimes reported, 1 arrest
- Rosslyn 7 crimes reported, 0 arrests
The Vienna area fared better in this year's report than in last year's: In 2011, the Vienna Metro station was ranked No. 2, and Dunn Loring came in close behind at No. 5.
Overall, the numbers in Virginia continue to be significantly lower than those in Washington and Maryland.
Other report highlights:
Parking lot crime reached a 10-year low in 2012.
Metro has started using undercover officers to deter crimes. Officers hold decoy electronic devices, become apparent victims and make arrests. In 2012, a total of 149 arrests systemwide were made as a result of crime suppression team activity, according to Metro.
The Metro stations with the most crimes overall (including Washington, Maryland and Virginia):
- Anacostia 119 crimes reported, 40 arrests made
- College Park 67 crimes reported, 5 arrests made
- L’Enfant Plaza 59 crimes reported, 21 arrests made
- Gallery Place 58 crimes reported, 14 arrests made
- West Hyattsville 53 crimes reported, 13 arrests made
- New Carrollton 52 crimes reported, 6 arrests made
- Rhode Island Avenue 52 crimes reported, 24 arrests made
- Largo Town Center 50 crimes reported, 3 arrests made
- Minnesota Avenue 48 crimes reported, 9 arrests made
- Metro Center 48 crimes reported, 8 arrests made