Invite a friend
6th Annual Rocknoceros Holiday Singalong
Get in the Holiday Mood: Come back for a sixth year of fun holiday songs and Rockno classics. Sing with the band!
As every family with youngsters in the DC area already knows, Rocknoceros (pronounced like rhinoceros) is three guys: Coach Cotton, Williebob, and Boogie Woogie Bennie. After seeing them perform, there is no denying that they are not a typical trio. Coach Cotton is the ring-leader, frequently immersed in a sea of knee-high concert goers. Wearing a wireless head-set microphone, he wades through the mass of dancing children, dispersing high-fives and shaking a tambourine. Williebob provides the necessary string work for the show, moving among a collection of guitars, mandolins, and banjos while wearing a kazoo around his neck. Boogie Woogie Bennie is a one-man-band within the power trio, employing a contraption that one four-year-old fan described as "the piano-drum". The piano-drum allows Boogie Bennie to play the bass drum with his right foot, the snare drum and hi-hat cymbal with his left foot, and the keyboard with his hands (with his left hand playing the bass parts). Together, Rocknoceros is able to cover a dizzying range of musical styles in each set. From Tin Pan Alley to the shores of Jamaica, Rocknoceros hops from genre to genre like a toad on summer asphalt.
Having already released three award-winning records, Rocknoceros will be releasing their first kid-friendly concept album, "Colonel Purple Turtle". The new album tells tales of the Colonel and his friends in their make-believe home of Soggy Bog. The theme of "Colonel Purple Turtle" is one of friendship and working together, a subject that matters to Coach, Boogie Woogie Bennie, and Williebob, as the three members of Rockncoeros have been best friends since they were children. The record reflects their abiding trust in each other, and their desire to share the message of camaraderie through song.
More About Jammin' Java
A very happening place, Jammin' Java has been part of Vienna for the past ten years at it's present location. Aside from great coffee, Jammin' Java offers a multitude of activities for all ages. For parents there is a special happy hour that boasts a free juice box with the purchase of beer. They also have kid friendly musical performances. The venu itself is intimate and regularly hosts well known bands of all genres. The tickets go quickly and can be purchased in the shop or from their website. Jammin' Java also offers music lessons on several instruments from the owner Luke Brindley and some well known musicians.
Other events here
- Friday Lunch Hour with the grandsons, jr. Weekly on Fridays, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Risa Binder Today, May 24, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Moogatu + WoodWork + Threesound Today, May 24, 10:00 pm
- Jammin Java’s Mid-Atlantic Band Battle 9 - Accepting Applications Daily, 8:00 am
- James McCartney + Justin Trawick Tomorrow, May 25, 7:30 pm
- "Main Stage" Comedy Showcase Tue, May 28, 9:00 pm
- @JamnJavadoorGal's LOCAL SCENE Grand Revival + Sub-Radio Standard + Good Gravity + Sudden Impact Wed, May 29, 7:00 pm
- Thursday Mornings with The Great Zucchini Weekly on Thursdays, 10:30 am–11:30 am
- Thursday Lunch Hour with Oh Susannah! Weekly on Thursdays, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- The Kin + Taylor Carson (full band!) + Sam Pinkerton Thu, May 30, 8:00 pm