Invite a friend
Peter Mulvey + Seth Glier
THE GOOD STUFF, Peter Mulvey's fifteenth record, is a collection of standards which promptly rejects the accepted definition of "Standard" in favor of a more vivid, open approach. The music of Tom Waits is right there with Duke Ellington; Willie Nelson next to Thelonious Monk; Jolie Holland juxtaposed with Bill Frisell. Mulvey (along with his band, the Crumbling Beauties) address each tune with a true artist's touch. His mirthful, gravelly baritone is front and center from moment one, and every track is a master class in restraint, phrasing, and commitment. Twenty-odd years on the road, performing songs from his own catalog and from a vast, varied, and deep well of classic and obscure covers, has prepared Mulvey to deliver this collection. Night after night, the process of divining the heart of a song, being alert to where the moment can lead, has shaped him as an artist. To each rendition, he brings the soul of a singer, a light touch in a heavy world.
More About Jammin' Java
A very happening place, Jammin' Java has been part of Vienna for the past ten years at it's present location. Aside from great coffee, Jammin' Java offers a multitude of activities for all ages. For parents there is a special happy hour that boasts a free juice box with the purchase of beer. They also have kid friendly musical performances. The venu itself is intimate and regularly hosts well known bands of all genres. The tickets go quickly and can be purchased in the shop or from their website. Jammin' Java also offers music lessons on several instruments from the owner Luke Brindley and some well known musicians.
Other events here
- Local Scene Matinee: Toad Head Today, May 19, 2:00 pm–3:30 pm
- Spacehog + Todd Wright w/ Ethan Mentzer (of The Click Five) Today, May 19, 8:00 pm
- Scott Tournet and Ver La Luz + Rayland Baxter Tomorrow, May 20, 7:00 pm
- Thursday Mornings with The Great Zucchini Weekly on Thursdays, 10:30 am–11:30 am
- Thursday Lunch Hour with Oh Susannah! Weekly on Thursdays, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Marie Miller + Kenny Kohlhaas Thu, May 23, 8:00 pm
- Friday Mornings with Rocknoceros Weekly on Fridays, 10:30 am–11:30 am
- Friday Lunch Hour with the grandsons, jr. Weekly on Fridays, 1:00 pm–2:00 pm
- Risa Binder Fri, May 24, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm
- Moogatu + WoodWork + Threesound Fri, May 24, 10:00 pm