Updated 10:30 p.m.: Hurricane Sandy is beginning to pick up speed in Northern Virginia, and thousands of Vienna residents are already in the dark.
While small clusters of outages, from about five to 15 people, are reported around town, more than 5,000 residents near Lawyers and Malcolm roads have lost their power, according to an interactive outage map from Dominion Virginia Power as of 10:30 p.m. Hundreds have also lost power near Gallows Road.
In Fairfax County, Dominion is reporting 75,980 outages as of 10:30 p.m.
Roads in the Vienna area have also started to close, with downed trees and power lines, as well as flooding, blocking traffic.
The following roads have been closed as of 10:30 p.m.:
- Hunter Station Road: tree down at Lawyers Road
- Lawyers Road near Galloping Way: flooding
- Gallows Road at the ramp to US-50 and I-495S: flooding
- 2400 block of Cedar Lane: downed tree, pole, power lines
- Old Courthouse & Besley roads: flooding
- 1300 Block of Ross Drive, between Patrick Street and Cottage Drive: downed power lines
- MacArthur Avenue NE, John Marshall Road and Beulah Road: downed trees/power lines
- Hilltop Drive: downed trees/power lines
- Courthouse Road/Sutton Road: downed tree
- Hunter Mill Road/Cedar Pond Drive: high water
- John Marshall Dr closed at MacArthur
- Frederick Street SW, between Tapawingo and Ridge streets: tree blocking most of road, but the road is not closed.