The National Weather Service has issued a Winter Storm Warning for our area with an expected 5-8 inches of snow. The heaviest snow is expected this afternoon and wind chills will dip below zero later today. We have a number of updates and tips to share this morning:
- Operating Status: Learn what’s open and closed today through our operating status update.
- Special Election: The special election for the 33rd Virginia Senate District is still on. You should vote early if you live in the Herndon and Chantilly areas.
- Road Snow Removal: The Virginia Department of Transportation handles snow removal on most roads in Fairfax County. If you’re wondering about the status of plowing on major and secondary roads as the day progresses, check out VDOT’s snow plowing map.
- Driving Preparedness: Try to get where you need to be before the weather gets bad. If travel is necessary, keep an emergency supply kit in your vehicle and drive safely in case you get stuck on the roads. Ensure you have a full tank of gas this morning.
- Neighbors and Neighborhoods: Decide who will check on elderly or disabled neighbors.
- Snow Shoveling and Removal: Think about your safety and plans for clearing snow from sidewalks, decks and fire hydrants later today. Be careful if you have a heart condition.
- Hypothermia Program: If you see an unsheltered person who may be at risk of hypothermia, call the police non-emergency phone line at 703-691-2131, TTY 711.
- Pets: Don’t forget your pets — as the day deteriorates, bring pets/companion animals inside; move other animals to sheltered areas with non-frozen drinking water.
- #ffxstorm: If you’re using Twitter, tell us what you see by using the hashtag #ffxstorm. This is a large storm affecting the northeast, so the more localized info the better! Follow us on Twitter at @fairfaxcounty.