Vienna business owner Peggy James has a passion for supporting local artists. So it only made sense for her to open The Artful Gift Shop on Vienna's Historic Church Street. Patch asked James five questions about her business.
1. How long has the Artful Gift Shop been in business? Eleven years!
2. What made you decide to open your own gift shop? After 20 years as a Corporate Financial Manager, I really wanted to do something I love, in the town I love, and live in. I have always wanted to own a gift shop that specialized in locally hand-crafted gifts.
3. What are some of the featured artists in your shop? We have over 50 local artists represented in the shop, who create everything from cards and jewelry, to fine art and home furnishings.A few of my personal favorites are: James Sweeny-Photographer, Divya Talwar, Marcia Gordon and Cathy Soltys - jewelers; Dan Kessler - painter; Lisa Marie Adams-potter and creator of a variety of upcycled items of art; Kari Cannistraro-Mural Artist and painter.
4. What are your favorite items in the shop? We have a fantastic selection of hand made jewelry! I also love the different pottery, and our eclectic selection of housewares and hostess gifts! Very hard to pick favorites, as there are so many things in the shop that I love.
5. What items are most popular among shoppers? Jewelry is a hot seller in the shop. Funky and colorful prints of paintings by Dan Kessler featuring dogs and cats are a huge hit! Dog and cat clocks with wagging tails are always a favorite of animal lovers!
The Artful Gift Shop is located at 145 Church St NW, Vienna.