If there's one thing Khristin Kyllo loved, besides the softball field, it was music.
Friends and family of the 18-year-old rising star at Princeton University, who last winter in her dorm room, , and in the year since her death, "with a heart of gold and a million dollar smile."
In that spirit, two community groups are bringing their own version of a popular national singing contest to Vienna, offering residents of all ages to be crowned 'Vienna Idol' and giving the proceeds to the memorial fund in Kyllo's name.
and kicked off the town's first ever contest Tuesday with the first qualifying round of the competition, which aims to let community members show off their talents in a competitive atmosphere.
The second qualifying round is 7 p.m. tonight at Whole Foods Vienna; there will be several others in the following weeks. Semifinals will be held at Viva!Vienna! over Memorial Day Weekend. Finalists will perform June 8 on the Town Green, and a winner will be determined by donation votes: Audience members will buy $1 tickets and "vote" with them by putting them in their favorite musicians' jar. The finalist with the highest total will be crowned 2012 Vienna Idol and receive a $500 cash prize.
The winner will perform a song at before , a music festival on the town green started last year in Kyllo's name.
Last year, the festival raised more than $10,000 and gave away $6,500 in scholarships to graduating seniors that embodied the way Kyllo lived her life -- "passionately, with compassion and a zeal that inspired all who had the opportunity to be touched by her." It also donates to seizure and SUDEP (Sudden Unexplained Death in Epilepsy) research efforts.
- 7 p.m. May 3, Whole Foods Vienna
- 7 p.m. May 10, Whole Foods Vienna
- 7 p.m. May 17, Caffe Amouri
Semifinals: Viva!Vienna!, Memorial Day Weekend (May 26-28)
Finals: Concert on the Green, June 8
Rules (via Caffe Amouri):
- Entry fee $10 – To be donated to the Khristin Kyllo Memorial Fund
- Entrants must submit, along with their entry fee, a picture (preferably a “Headshot”) and a short bio. These will be used in advertising and press releases.
- Caffe Amouri will supply sound amplification equipment. We are seeking to make this simple. Mics, speakers and a mixer will be on-hand for acts.
- Groups must be small enough to play in a “coffeehouse” environment
- Any music, spoken word or other “talent” will be considered
- Entrants will agree that their likeness and performance may be broadcast in any manner of distribution to include but not limited to a Live Broadcast of the Finale, any rebroadcast of the finale or on the Caffe Amouri Youtube channel.
- Entrants will agree to be available for the Semi-final competition to be held over the Memorial Day Weekend at the annual Viva!Vienna! celebration and for the finals to be held at a CONCERT ON THE GREEN at 6 p.m. June 8.
The winner will $500. Second place will receive $200, third place will receive $100 and fourth place will receive a gift basket filled with gifts from Church Street vendors.
Those who buy voting tickets in the finals will also be entered into a raffle for a gift basket from Church Street vendors.