Officials hope the campaign will prevent injuries and deaths caused by pedestrian crashes. Since 2013, there have been 24 crashes involving pedestrians or bicycles near the Vienna Metro area, according to the Fairfax County Police Department.
The campaign runs through Friday, July 18.
The department encourages pedestrians to be mindful of these basic safety tips:
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks and intersections
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing
- Use pedestrian pushbuttons to control traffic lights
- Begin crossing the street on “Walk” signal
- Stay visible after dark and in bad weather
- Watch out for trucks and buses backing out of parking spaces and driveways