Update 9:13 a.m. Sunday: About 144 customers are still without power. Dominion's estimate is by 1 p.m.
Update 12:24 a.m. Sunday: All but about 200 customers have power restored from Saturday night's outage.
Dominion Power says it expects gusts to continue through tomorrow. They're preparing for the weather and will have extra crews on hand, they said.
Update 10:16 p.m.: Power has been restored to about half of those customers that lost it.
At least 1,400 customers remain without power. For most of those customers, power should be restored by 2 a.m., if not earlier, according to Dominion Power's map.
Update 8:32 p.m.: Some of the outages in the north sections of Vienna appear to be caused by a broken utility pole near the American Legion, according to Dominion's interactive map.
Restoration times for all areas have not been determined, but some areas now have an estimate of between 11 p.m. and 2 a.m, according to the map.
Original: More than 3,500 customers in Vienna lost power Saturday night as winds reached above 30 miles per hour.
Many stretches of Maple Avenue were completely dark just before 8 p.m., with few working street lights and traffic lights out from Branch Road through Center Street. Many shopping centers and businesses -- including Outback Steakhouse, Sweetleaf Cafe, those at Maple Avenue and Park Street, the Whole Foods on Maple Avenue, and the Magruders Shopping Center -- were pitch black.
Dominion Power representative Daisy Pridgen said 7,300 customers across Northern Virginia were without power, nearly all of them weather related.
She said crews were being dispatched to all of the outages, and backup crews were being called as well. Restoration times varied from 10 p.m. to unknown, as workers arrived to better asses the situations and report back repair times.
The largest outage in Vienna appeared to be Center Street northward, with about 3,386 customers in that area affected. There were also affected areas along Maple Avenue, Tapawingo Road and parts of Northwest Vienna, with clusters of affected customers ranging from 40 to several dozen more.
Facebook and Twitter users chimed in with their own reports of outages:
- @ripahl: "@ViennaPatch houses by madison high school and flint hill elementary out too" "oh no, Vienna inn dark!"
- @charlcies: Power lines down in Vienna on Center Street North, which is closed between John Marshall Road and Ayr Hill.
- @innovation erik: "power out at end of tapawingo..."
- @omw2innisfree: "Power is out on Cottage St SW. Any ideas?"
- Magdalene Torres: Carey lane & vale behind Madison too
- Erin Herward Thurston Ours (Mosby's Landing) blinked on and off a couple times but has been on since then (thankfully)! Hope everyone is restored soon!
- Katherine Thompson Allen Vienna Woods is out. Plus st, Tapawingo dark too.
Customers without power should report their outages to 1-866-DOM-HELP. For Dominion's outage map, _click here.
Patch will update this story as more information becomes available.