Police this week are enforcing pedestrian and bicyclist safety laws around the Vienna Metro station.
The increased enforcement is a follow-up to on-site public education efforts and warnings to residents and commuters last week. "The goal of the campaign is to prevent injuries and deaths due to pedestrian crashes," according to the Fairfax County Police Department.
Police reported there were 24 total crashes involving pedestrians and/or bicycles near the Vienna Metro station in 2013 and 2014.
Police released this safety information for commuters:
- Cross the street at marked crosswalks and intersections.
- Look left, right, then left again before crossing.
- Use pedestrian pushbuttons to control traffic lights.
- Begin crossing the street on “Walk” signal.
- Stay visible after dark and in bad weather.
- Watch out for trucks and buses backing out of parking spaces and driveways.