A woman who refused to pay her cab fare last week escaped consequences for that offense but was charged with being drunk in public and assaulting the police officer as the investigation continued.
Police responded at 3:07 a.m. March 18 to Maple Avenue NW, where a woman was refusing to pay her cab fare. After investigating the case and identifying the involved individual, the cab driver refused to prosecute the woman. Police then placed the woman under arrest for drunk in public. Stephanie Garcia, 19, of Vienna was transported to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center. While preparing to address the magistrate MPO Lose was assaulted by the woman. He then formally charged her with assault on a police officer and drunk in public.
A bicyclist reported he struck an unleashed dog around 2 p.m. March 16 while riding along the W & OD Trail at Maple Ave. The rider fell off his bicycle and sustained minor injuries. The dog’s owner collected the animal and ran away from the crash.
Other Highlights from the Vienna Police Department, March 16 to 22:
- A citizen reported at noon March 5 her credit card number had been used to make several fraudulent online purchases. Police are still investigating the case.
- A woman reported at 6:50 .m. March 12 she would like to take possession of an antique car located on another family member’s property. Her deceased father left the car to her. Attempts to locate the homeowner were unsuccessful and the vehicle could not be retrieved.
- A woman reported losing her purse and its contents between 2 and 4 p.m. March 14 at the Vienna Presbyterian Church.
- A woman reported someone stole her credit card between 5 p.m. March 14 and 5 p.m. March 15. Upon notifying the issuer she learned that several fraudulent purchases had already been made. This case is still being investigated.
- A woman reported some mail order medication was stolen from her mailbox between 4:57 and 7 p.m. March 15 on Melody Lane.
- Police responded at 9:16 p.m. March 16 to the pool area of the Park Terrace condominiums, 200 Block Park Terrace Court SE, where they found several juveniles inside the fenced area surrounding the swimming pool. An investigation revealed the boys had entered the restricted area to possibly retrieve a ball. The ball had landed on the swimming pool cover and was unreachable. They then entered the pool supply building to retrieve a tool with which to retrieve the ball. The building had visible signs of damage, as did the surrounding fence. The boys were detained then released to their parents and petitions will be obtained at a later date charging them with trespassing and destruction of property.
- A man reported that between 10 a.m. March 17 and 5:30 p.m. March 18, he found an obscene image scribed into the paint on his car door, located on Ware Street SW.
- While conducting a traffic stop at 2:19 a.m. March 18 on East Street NE, Police detected the driver could be impaired. After attempting to complete several field sobriety tests, Dale Manley Harmon Frey, 26, of Herndon was arrested for driving while intoxicated. Frey was then taken to Vienna Police Headquarters for analysis of his breath. After the analysis he was taken to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.
- A woman reported finding a discarded shirt at 11:49 p.m. March 18 in the roadway of Woodland Court NW. The shirt is from a movie theater and
has a nametag on it. The shirt was collected and placed into storage pending retrieval by its owner.
- A man reported at 11:10 a.m. March 19 he filed his tax return only to learn another return had been filed using his social security number and personal information.
- A father reported his daughter had come to his home at 5:40 p.m. March 20 on Thelma Circle and taken his dog. The woman and the dog had gone to the Vienna Volunteer Fire Department. The father responded to the firehouse and took the dog back to his home. Fairfax County EMS personnel took the daughter to an area medical facility for evaluation and potential treatment.
- An employee of Magruder’s Store reported at 9:40 p.m. March 20 there was an apparently intoxicated man in the store. Police located the man and after investigating, arrested Neil Reilly, 41, of Puerto Rico, for drunk in public. He was then taken to the Fairfax County Adult Detention Center.
- A woman reported at 5:53 p.m. March 20 she was afraid to go to her home at Ware and Pekay Streets SW because her former boyfriend was following her. Officers were unable to locate the ex- boyfriend and the warrant obtainment process was explained to the complainant. The complainant was uninterested in prosecuting the boyfriend at this time.
- A social worker reported at 2:16 p.m. March 22 a woman needed to go to a medical facility to be checked out. Responding officers attempted to persuade the individual to go to the facility but she refused. After contacting various other service agencies the officers cleared the house and the woman remained inside.
- An unlicensed solicitor was reported to police at 7:01 p.m. March 22, allegedly going door to door along Truman Circle soliciting for home repair services. Police located the man and after a brief investigation issued Bunh H.Nguyen, 25, of Alexandria, a summons for soliciting without a license. Nguyen was released after signing the summons.