Ask the Town: New Water Lines, Curb House Numbers

This week: Readers recall a promise of a new water line and wonder about certain solicitor services -- here's what you need to know.

"Ask the Town" is a weekly series that features Vienna Public Information Officer Kirstyn Barr answering reader questions about anything and everything Vienna. Have a question? Leave it in the comments below; we'll answer it next week.

Reader: Last summer, the town spraypainted markings for new water lines on Saint Roman Drive (which is outside the town limits but serviced by Vienna). I attended the Town Council meeting in the fall where they passed the funding to replace the water lines. Work still has not begun. What is the status?

Kirstyn Barr: With Saint Roman Drive, significant work must be done in the roadway in order to install the new water line and since Saint Roman Drive resides outside of the Town’s limits, any work in the roadway must go through the Virginia Department of Transportation.  With this project, VDOT requested a surveyed plan and as a result, the Town hired an engineering firm to prepare the required plan.  Currently, the plan is ready to be submitted for permit.  In addition, the Town’s Water and Sewer Division and the Public Works Department in general went through a significant turn over phase last year and as a result, some projects were placed on hold.  Currently, the Town is in the process of hiring a Superintendent of Water and Sewer and once that position is filled, the water line work on Saint Roman Drive will commence once proper permitting is obtained through VDOT.  Without any unforeseen circumstances, work should be completed on Saint Roman before this winter.

Reader: A company called Community Address Painting Services is putting notices on doors that they will paint your house number on the curb for $15. They say this is used by the police and other emergency services, but it's not true. Your house number needs to be on your house, not on the curb.

Kirstyn Barr: The Town does not recommend that resident's paint their house number on their curbline as they can be easily obstructed from view by automobiles parking along the curb or debris that may be left at the curb, such as leaf or snow piles. In addition, permits are required to do any work in the Town right-of-way and they are not granted for painting the curbline. Also, if Town crews do any maintenance work that replaces the curb, the number will not be repainted.

We do recommend; however, that residents display large house numbers at least five feet above the ground near the entrance or garage door that faces the street. This will ensure the numbers can be seen on the darkest night, in the worst of weather and not be hidden by foliage or parked vehicles.

Anyone who approaches you about curb painting do not have permits to work within the Town public right-of-way, nor do they have business licenses to operate within the Town of Vienna, so they are not legally allowed to do the work. If you receive such a solicitation, please call the Vienna Police Department’s non-emergency number at (703) 255-6366.

Previous week's questions:

Elizabeth A Hedley July 19, 2012 at 01:59 PM
Ask the Town: We have been in our house over 22 years and our street (St Andrews Dr NE) was not in good condition to begin with, has never been resurfaced. And, I don't know of any systemic plan to do so. How does this happen or not happen?


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »