The Madison High School boys swimming team captured its third consecutive Liberty District Swim Championship on Saturday, outscoring the next best team by more than 100 points.
Going into the weekend's Liberty District Swimming Championships,
But the Warhawks, using a depth Foos called the best in the league, handily outpaced its opponents with a combined score of 490. The second and third place finishers, Thomas Jefferson and Marshall High Schools, finished with a score of 373.5 and 302, respectively.
The Warhawk girls squad also saw success, coming in third place with a score of 310. Langley and McLean High Schools finished in first and second place with 407 and 328 points, respectively.
One of the most exciting races of the meet was the boys 200 medley relay, in which sophomore Grayson Smith, juniors Howe Wang and Evan Owens and senior Alex Ripley took first with a time of 1:38.39 -- less than half a second ahead of Thomas Jefferson's relay team, which finished second in 1:38.84.
Marshall's nationally-ranked Cyrus Hashemi took first in the 200 yard freestyle race in 1:40.941, breaking the Liberty District record of 1:42.46 set by McLean's Charlie Putnam in 2011.
Hashemi also broke the 13-year record of 46.45 in the 100 yard freestyle, finishing first with a time of 45.97.
Andrew Nyce took another first place finish for Marshall in the 100 yard breaststroke, finishing in 1:00.16.
Nyce and Hashemi, along with Jacob Freck and Logan Hirka, were both part of the Marshall 400-yard freestyle, which took first with a time of 3:13.75
On the girls side, Madison Junior Laura Kellan took first in the 500 yard freestyle with a time of 5:08.83.
Other top finishes:
- Girls 400-yard freestyle relay, second place: Madison High School, 3:40.26 Laura Sullivan, Laura Kellan, Sidney Owens, Sami Fletcher)
- Boys 400-yard freestyle relay, third place: Madison High School, 3:18.37 (Tom Fenninger, Alex Pennington, Grayson Smith, Howe Wang)
- Boys 100-yard breast stroke, second place: Madison's Evan Owens
- Boys 200-yard freestyle, second place: George Marshall High School, 1:26.26 (Jacob Freck, Alex Kordis, Andre Nyce, Cyrus Hashemi).
- Boys 500-yard freestyle, second place: Madison's Howe Wang 4:46.81
- Girls 100-yard freestyle, third place: Madison's Laura Kellan, 53.63
- Boys 100-yard freestyle, second place: Marshall's Jacob Freck, 48.77.
- Girls 100-yard butterfly, second place: Madison's Cassidy Humphrey, 59.25
- Boys 50-yard freestyle, second place: Madison's Evan Owens, 22.24
- Boys 50-yard freestyle, third place: Madison's Alex Ripley, 22.33
- Girls 200-yard IM, second place:Madison's Sidney Owens, 2:11.62
- Boys 200-yard IM, second place: Marshall's Andrew Nyce 1:57.64
- Boys 200-yard IM, third place: Madison's Howe Wang 1:58.85
- Girls 200-yard freestyle, second place: Madison's Cassidy Humphrey, 1:55.83
- Girls 200-yard medley relay, third place: Madison High School, 1:51.95 ( Laura Kellan, Sami Fletcher, Ali Queen, Cassidy Humphrey)
Swimmers will compete in Northern Region Competition this week. Girls swim preliminaries will be held at 5:30 p.m. Thursday; boys swim preliminaries will be held 5:30 p.m. Friday; and finals will be held at 5:30 p.m. Saturday. All meets take place at Oak Marr Recreation Center.