Now that the cost of flying for a family of four is about four times more expensive than driving, many families will opt for packing the minivan this year to reach their destination-- and we are here to help your trip run smoothly!
While we always recommend proper car maintenance before any road trip, this article is about maintaining sanity. Here are a few favorites for keeping the backseat kicking and screaming under control this summer:
- Fill a shoebox with their favorite toys and place it in-between your children’s car seats. This eliminates the hassle of reaching behind the seat for dropped action figures and keeps the youngsters occupied with an endless selection of toys within their reach. Bonus: you might even be able to see the floor mats in your car for a change!
- Take a clipboard with a stack of copy paper and stick it in the seat pocket in front of your child. Along with a box of crayons…. Presto! A simple project that provides entertainment for hours for your budding Picasso!
- We all know food is oftentimes the best entertainment while driving. Even better if the food doesn’t make a mess of your car and is healthy too. Consider turning an empty peanut butter container into a holder for celery and dip. Fill an empty peanut butter container with an inch or two of peanut butter (or ranch dressing) and then slice up some celery sticks and stick them on top. Viola! A simple snack without sticky fingers!
- Before the road trip, visit the library and rent audio books.
- If your vehicle doesn't come equipped with a built-in DVD player, consider investing in (or borrowing!) a portable one. There are plenty of educational shows available on DVD.
- Visit the dollar store before your trip and purchase a few small trinkets for each child. Reward kids for good behavior throughout the trip.
- Play an A to Z game. Start with naming an animal that starts with an “A” and have your kids take turns listing others for the rest of the letters of the alphabet.
Whether you are trekking across the country or just over the state line, being prepared for a road trip is essential. Making sure your car is in tiptop shape will help to avoid any hassles and delays. Organizing activities and snacks for the road will keep everyone happy and make your road trip the best it can be.
About Us --Virginia Tire & Auto:
For more than 35 years, family-owned and operated Virginia Tire & Auto has been the leading provider of full-service automotive maintenance, repair and tire needs for customers in Northern Virginia. Named “Top Shop in North America” by Tire Review magazine, Virginia Tire & Auto’s 11 locations are conveniently located in Ashburn, Centreville, Chantilly, Fairfax (Main Street Shell), Falls Church, Gainesville, South Riding, Springfield, Sterling and Vienna (James Madison Shell). The business offers exceptional customer experience, dedicated quality service and is a superior place for a career. For more information about Virginia Tire & Auto, please visit us at www.vatire.com, www.facebook.com/VATIREANDAUTO or www.pinterest.com/virginiatire.