It’s a new week, Vienna. Here are some things you should know:
1. Say goodbye to summer. That hot weather we had this weekend for Oktoberfest was most likely summer’s last gasp. Monday’s rain will usher in much cooler temperatures. High temperatures Monday and Tuesday will be in the 70s, but they will only be in the 60s Wednesday through Friday. Expect a mix of clouds and sun Tuesday through Friday.
2. Walk (and Bike) to School Day is this Wednesday, Oct. 9. It’s a huge event in Vienna, where seven schools are signed up to participate.
3. This coming Saturday, round up the kids and head to your local fire station. All 37 fire and rescue stations in Fairfax County are hosting open houses from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Information about preventing kitchen fires will be available, along with fire house tours and, of course, trucks. (Vienna’s own Wolftrap station just opened last week.)
4. Yes, the federal government is still shut down as Republicans and Democrats in the House and Senate try to work out a budget deal or a continuing resolution. That means the National Zoo, Smithsonian museums and other downtown D.C. attractions are closed. Also, your mortgage application may be delayed.
5. Put these Halloween-related dates on your calendar so you don’t forget:
- Oct. 23: The Vienna Halloween Parade at 7 p.m.
- Oct. 25: Halloween Costume Party at 4 p.m.
- Oct. 26: Vienna Kids Halloween Party at 2 p.m.
More info about Halloween events is here. Oct. 26 is also a national prescription drug take-back day. The Vienna Police Department will take your old, unused prescription medications for safe disposal.
Have a good week!